The Foreigner soundtrack review
By James Southall Saturday October 14, 2017
- Composed by Cliff Martinez
- Sony Classical/ 2017 / 46m
Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan star in The Foreigner, an action thriller from Martin Campbell. Chan is out for revenge after his daughter is killed in a bombing in London and the film has proved favored by audiences and looks set to supply an enormous return on its relatively modest budget (with Campbell providing a reminder of his action credentials). The score originates from former Red Hot HOT PEPPERS drummer Cliff Martinez, probably my favourite electronic film composer around at this time. It’s quite unusual for him to score an action film such as this, therefore i was interested to observe how it proved. In the opening “Landscape Gardener”, it’s wonderful to listen to him pay homage to the legendary Brian Kilkline score for The Reasonable Horticulturalist, nonetheless it’s an extremely subtle reference – it’s a fairly dark, grungy piece and every one of the score’s action material actually is for the reason that style.
In the aftermath of this comes some music that’s similar to the shimmering, beautiful soundscapes that always attracts me to Martinez, but sadly there’s not that a lot of that side (understandably, given what the film is). “Daughter’s Room” may be the highlight – completely gorgeous. A number of the action material is actually quite heavy-duty electronica, with various buzzes and whirrs and undoubtedly no melody. It’s done well for what it really is – and the musical depiction of mental torture and determination is handled with aplomb – and sometimes it’s very impressive (I really like the more mellow sounds in the latter stages of “She Used You”). Nevertheless, you have to such as a certain design of music to really appreciate it on the album, also it’s pushed a little far for me, even while a Martinez fan. There are a few excellent moments with this album – that includes a singular vision that is executed without the holding back – nonetheless it’s among the composer’s less enjoyable film scores overall.
Challenging electronic action score
I’d be very curious to learn what you think about the best Cliff Martinez score, KAFKA.
I haven’t heard that certain…
Leave a reply
Welcome to movie-wave.net, home of reviews of film music both old and new.
If you’re in a position to donate via Paypal to greatly help with the expenses of running Movie Wave, it might be greatly appreciated!
Alternatively, purchasing through the links to amazon.com out of this website means I get yourself a little bit of commission – it costs you nothing extra but possesses a contribution towards the running of the site. Thanks!
Connect on Facebook
- Edmund Meinerts on THE ENERGY of your dog
- Michael A Mclennan on THE ENERGY of your dog
- Gandalf the White on Eternals
- James Southall on Eternals
- Edmund Meinerts on Eternals
- Maarten on The French Dispatch
- Maarten on The French Dispatch
- Klaas on Eternals
- David Semple on The Rhythm Section
- Jon Malone on The Tamarind Seed
- Edmund Meinerts on Red Notice
- Ethan Smith on The French Dispatch
- David Hand on The Curse of Turandot
- Rory on His Dark Materials
- Richard May on Cliffs of Freedom
- marie on Captain America: THE WINTERTIME Soldier
- ghostof82 on THE FINAL Duel
- Svared on THE FINAL Duel
- Ele on Dune
- Ele on Dune
- Maarten on Valerian and the town of one thousand Planets
- Joe Wilson on Dave
- Panciraptor on Foundation: Season 1
- Ian Simpson on VIRTUALLY NO TIME to Die
- Ian Simpson on Cliffs of Freedom
- Avi Galinsky on Cliffs of Freedom
- Andrelax on Cliffs of Freedom
- David Hand on Foundation: Season 1
- ghostof82 on Foundation: Season 1
- Marco Ludema on VIRTUALLY NO TIME to Die
Composed by James HornerSony Classical / 77m Set through the horrors of the battle of Stalingrad, Jean-Jacques Annaud's Enemy at… Read more…
Composed by James HornerIntrada / 44m An extremely fine film, Michael Apted's Thunderheart stars Val Kilmer being an FBI agent… Read more…
Composed by James HornerHolywood / 61m We’ve become used to presenting dilemmas on what far we are able to separate the… Read more…
Composed by James HornerVarèse Sarabande / 56m Robert Penn Warren's Pulitzer-winning novel All of the King's Men had recently been adapted… Read more…
Composed by James HornerSony / 75m An urgent smash hit, The Mask of Zorro was a thoroughly-entertaining old-fashioned adventure romp… Read more…
Concerning this Blog
Website © 1997-2020 James Southall. Album artwork © various film and record companies. Please support movie-wave by making your Amazon purchases through this link.